Dear Faculty and Staff,
The BMCC Counseling Center is available to provide support for those who were directly or indirectly impacted by the incident that recently occurred near our campus.
ALL members of the College community are invited to attend one of our group check-in sessions today, Wednesday, November 1, from 3 to 4 p.m. in N471 and 5 to 6 p.m. in S632. Staff members of the Counseling Center will be available to discuss concerns, reactions and how you are coping.
In situations such as this, it is not uncommon for people to feel aftereffects of the traumatic event. The signs that you are impacted may emerge immediately following the incident or weeks later. Your reaction may be related to the current event or experiences in your past.
Signs may include:
- Repetitive or intrusive thoughts of the incident
- Avoiding the campus out of fear
- Difficulty sleeping or sleeping too much
- Overeating or loss of appetite
- Difficulty concentrating
If you experience any of the above, it is important to engage in self-care practices such as:
- Talking to a trusted friend or loved one;
- Engaging in pleasurable activities such as exercise, listening to music, going for a walk or journaling;
- Participating in spiritual or religious activities such as prayer or meditation or attending services;
- Taking a break from social media and the news.
If you are unable to attend one of the group sessions but are in need of support, we encourage students to visit the Counseling Center in S343 for a priority appointment. Walk-in appointments are available Monday – Thursday, 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., and Friday, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. You may also schedule an appointment by calling 212-220-8140. Please make sure to let us know that you need a priority appointment.
Faculty and staff can contact the CUNY Employee Assistance Program – Deer Oaks (via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone: 855-492-3633). Employees can access EAP service 24/7; services are free of charge, and all inquiries are kept confidential.
For 24-hour access to a crisis counselor, please call: 1-888-NYC-Well (1-888-692-9355) or text “WELL” to 65173.
The Counseling Center