Questions for Reading Worksheet #3 are below and here: rw3f17asn
Lubheid [“A Blueprint for Exclusion: The Page Law, Prostitution and Discrimination against Chinese Women.”
- What laws/policies show us how Chinese immigrants faced discrimination?
- Why did a prostitution industry develop in the Chinese community?
- How/why was Chinese prostitution a target? What ideas circulated about Chinese women and Chinese men?
- How did immigration officials attempt to identify “real wives” vs. “prostitutes?” What specific questions were they asked and/or documents were they required to provide?
- How did immigration officials treat Chinese women differently than Chinese men?
- What role did science, or scientific racism, play in the regulation of immigration of Chinese women?
Reflections/Questions/Concerns about this week’s materials?