Questions for Reading Worksheet (#2) are pasted below, and available here: RW2f17
Reading Worksheet #2
Lee (“Los Chinos in New Spain and Asians in Early America”)
- Lee says that Europeans had “long been fascinated with Asia.” How did Europeans view Asia? What were their impressions of Asia and Asians? Given specific examples from the text.
- What motivated Spain’s exploration and conquest of the Pacific? What site became the “seat” of Spain’s Pacific empire?
- Who were the first migrants from Asia to the Americas? Why and how did they arrive?
- Who made up the second largest group of Asians coming to the Americas? Under what conditions did they arrive?
- Who were los chinos? Where and how did they settle?
- What kind of work did Asian migrants along the Pacific coast of New Spain do?
- What motivated the new United States to trade with China? How did this relationship affect migration from Asia to the U.S.?
- Who was Afong Moy? What does her story show us about how Asians were viewed in the U.S.?
- Who made up the first Asian settlements in the U.S.? Where/when were they located? What did they do?
Omi and Winant (excerpt from Racial Formations)
- What do the authors mean when they say “race is indeed a pre-eminently sociohistorical concept” (page 15)? What examples do they give and how do these examples demonstrate their point?
- What is the danger of viewing race as something “fixed and immutable,” or natural?
- What does the term “racialization” mean? How does the racial category of “white” illustrate its meaning?
Reflections/Questions/Concerns about this week’s materials?