You can download Reading Worksheet #1 here: RW1 F17
**Questions are also pasted below:
Ishizuka, “Spontaneous Arisings,” from Serve the People: Making Asian America in the Long Sixties
- Who are the “social bandits?” What motivates them to work towards social change?
- Who are the “talented tenth?” What are their goals and what strategies do they use?
- What brings different Asian communities (e.g. Japanese, Chinese, Filipino) together under the banner of “Asian American?” Why is this a useful framework?
Precious Knowledge (documentary)
- What problems were Mexican Americans facing in the Tucson school system, and why?
- How does Mexican American/Raza Studies address these problems? What impact does this program have on its students?
- What is the basis of the opposition to Ethnic Studies in Arizona? What arguments are made against the program?
- (optional notes for class discussion): What do you make of these arguments for and against Ethnic Studies?
Reflections/Questions/Concerns about this week’s materials?