For this week’s journal, you are asked to reflect on the reading by Helen Zia:
Here are some questions for you to consider as you read/write:
- Why does Zia move to Detroit and why does she say her parents thought she had “lost [her] mind?”
- What were some of the problems that Detroit faced in the late 1970s/early 1980s?
- Who was Vincent Chin and what happened to him?
- How did the different Asian American communities respond to this case?
- What was the ACJ and what was its goal? Why is the formation of ACJ significant for Asian American history?
For your journal, make sure to make connections to class discussions + the world, in general.