This week’s reading comes from a book called Serve the People, about the history of Asian American organizing for social change in the 1960s.
- What does the title of this chapter mean (Yellow Power?) What does “yellow” mean here and why?
- What was the AAPA and why was it founded?
- What were some of the terms that Asian Americans were using to refer to themselves, and what were the strengths and weaknesses of these labels?
- How did Filipinos fit into these newly forming movements?
CONNECTION TO CLASS:
- How does this history of Asian American communities relate to the readings/discussion about the “model minority?”
- What are your comments and questions about the reading? What did you learn? What questions came up for you as you read?
CONNECTION TO WORLD:
- How can this history of Asian American movements help us to understand contemporary issues of race and immigration?