As you read the Wu, consider the following questions:
- Who were the “yogore,” what were some of the “visual signs” of their culture, and why were they considered “dangerous?”
- What were some of the expectations or pressures put on the second generation Japanese (the Nisei).
- What were the Zoot Suit Riots, and why did they cause anxiety for Japanese community members?
- What was the relationship between the yogore and African American communities?
Connection to Class + World:
- What do you find surprising or unsurprising about the yogore? How do the yogore fit in, or not fit in, to representations or expectations of Japanese communities?
- Are the pressures that were placed on the Japanese community familiar or unfamiliar to you and/or are there other communities that grapple with similar anxieties?