Here are the questions to answer before/after the film: race-ep-2
BEFORE YOU WATCH THE FILM:
- How long do you think the idea of race has been around in the United States?
- Do you think that Africans were enslaved in the U.S. because they were thought to be inferior, or do you think they were thought to be inferior because they were enslaved?
AFTER THE FILM:
- How has race been used as a way to justify inequality?
- How can you connect U.S. slavery to prejudices against people descended from Africa?
- What did scientists like Agassiz, Morton and Nott argue about race? How did this affect U.S. laws and social policy?
- What role did beliefs about race play in the American colonization of Mexican territory, Cuba, the Philippines, Guam and Puerto Rico?